The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is located at 7001 Freret Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The library is near the intersection of Broadway and Freret streets, and a short distance from historic St. Charles Avenue and Audubon Park.
There are a few metered spaces located near the library. Exact change is required for the meters. All other parking requires permits on campus from 8:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Guest parking permits are available for purchase at the Public Safety/Traffic Office located in the Diboll Center. The permits cost $5.00 a day. Permits are not required on weekends.
There are a few handicapped spaces located near the library and permits are required to park in them.
For more information on parking at Tulane, please refer to the General Parking Information web page or call the parking office at (504) 865-5381.
Freret Bus - The Freret bus stops between Howard-Tilton Memorial Library and Jones Hall.
St. Charles Streetcar - Take the St. Charles streetcar to the Tulane University/Audubon Park stop. Walk through the academic quad between St. Charles Avenue and Freret Street, continue walking under Stern Hall, cross Freret Street at the traffic light crosswalk, turn left. You will pass the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse, then pass Jones Hall (where Special Collections are located), and the library will be the six floor white building.
Driving directions to Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
- After the exit for Causeway Boulevard in Metairie, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and I-610, keep right to stay on I-10 E, follow signs for Interstate 10 E/New Orleans Business District.
- Go 1.6 miles.
- Take exit 232 toward Airline Drive/Tulane Avenue/Carrollton Avenue/LA-61.
- Go 0.5 miles.
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Carrollton Avenue and merge onto South Carrollton Avenue.
- Go 0.8 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at Palmetto Street/Washington Avenue, Palm Street, Earhart Boulevard and Walmsley Avenue.)
- Turn left onto Fontainebleau Drive.
- Go 0.4 miles.
- Turn right onto Broadway Street.
- Go 1.1 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at South Claiborne Avenue and Willow Street.)
- Turn left onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the left 0.1 miles.
- After crossing the Industrial Canal high rise bridge and passing the fork for I-610, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and U.S. 90 Business West. You will pass exits for Elysian Fields Avenue, St. Bernard Avenue, Orleans Avenue, and Canal Street. As you are passing these exits, try to be in the middle lane of the three lanes of I-10.
- Use the left 2 lanes to take the U.S. 90 Business W exit toward Westbank/Claiborne Avenue.
- Keep in the right lane of the two lanes that exit to the left, follow signs for US 90 W/Claiborne Ave and merge onto US-90 W/S Claiborne Avenue.
- Merge onto US-90 W/South Claiborne Avenue.
- Go 1.8 miles. (You will go through several lights – Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Jackson Avenue, Washington Avenue, Toledano Street, Louisiana Avenue, Napoleon Avenue, Jefferson Avenue, Nashville Avenue)
- Turn left onto State Street which is the street after Nashville Avenue.
- Go 0.6 miles.
- Turn right onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the right 0.4 miles.