The Learning Commons on the first floor of the Howard-Tilton Library is a dynamic, collaborative student environment combining research, technology and media in a new campus facility.
The space features individual and group work areas, a large-screen collaborative work space, comfortable seating in a variety of configurations, and iMacs and PCs equipped with an array of software, including productivity apps and media production tools. Laptop visitors to the Learning Commons will find a high speed 802.11n wireless network, convenient electrical locations and laptop-friendly seating.
Just as important as the technology and amenities, the Learning Commons is also the place to interact one-on-one with research librarians, technology experts, and media specialists. These professionals are on hand throughout the day and evening to assist students with their research and learning activities.
The Learning Commons has some exciting additions!
- The Digital Production Center houses several dedicated multi-media computers that will be available for digital editing and multi-media work. Students will have access to a variety of applications including Adobe Premiere and Photoshop, Apple Final Cut Express and Sony Vegas Movie Studio.
- Equipment checkout including video and still cameras, headphones, and portable hard drives will be available to students completing digital media assignments relating to coursework and independent studies.
The Learning Commons is fully equipped with the latest technology to satisfy students, faculty and staff across the Tulane community. The newly designed space includes both Windows and Macintosh computers configured to meet the demand of multi-media and digital based assignments. Some of the Learning Commons amenities include:
- A 50” touch screen LCD display for group presentations
- Comfortable seating in a variety of configurations
- Laptop-friendly seating with convenient electrical locations
- High resolution flatbed and document scanning
- Bright open space
- High speed 802.11n wireless network
- Collaboration areas
- A PJ’s coffee shop offering hot and cold beverages along with light pastries and snacks - PJ's Hours
- A small lounge area across from the PJ’s
The powerful workstations include a suite of cutting-edge software and features, including:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Statistical software packages (SAS, SPSS)
- Final Cut Express
- Windows Movie Maker
- Internet Access
In addition, our newly-renovated unified services desk offers research help, circulation services and technology help in one convenient space. The new computers in the Learning Commons have a wide variety of software available for enhanced productivity. So whether you are finishing off that research paper, checking email or catching up with friends on Facebook, the Learning Commons is here to support your academic and social technology needs.
The Presentation Station is a multi-feature interactive tool to enhance teaching and learning. Running on a Macintosh platform, the Presentation Station offers computer, television, and SmartBoard in one unit.
Students can use the station to practice solo or group presentations. Teaching faculty and librarians can use the station to present classroom material or workshops to students in a collaborative atmosphere.
You can get an idea of what the Learning Commons is like before you come to the library with this Virtual Tour. Get a unique perspective of this exciting area without getting up from your computer!