NamePat Vince, Librarian IV
TitleDirector of User Services & Library IT
DepartmentUser Services & Library IT | Access Services | Reserves | Interlibrary Loan | Circulation | Scholarly Engagement | Digital Scholarship & Initiatives | Media Services | Library IT
ResponsibilitesThe Director of User Services and Library Information Technology (IT) strategically plans, coordinates, manages and allocates budget for user services and library IT for the Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, the main library at Tulane University. The position is the administrative head of one of the library’s largest divisions that includes access services (circulation, ILL, and reserves), Media Services (music, media, microforms, newspapers), Center for Library User Education (research and instruction) and library IT (systems, web services and digital initiatives/scholarly communications). The Director of User Services and Library IT ensures that the division’s programs, services and technology infrastructure are responsive to the academic needs of Tulane University as well as Tulane’s focus on service learning; represents the library in technology matters within and beyond the university; maintains a strong collaborative working relationship with the university’s Technology Services division, participating in shared initiatives such as the Learning Commons, data management and university-wide strategic technology planning. The director supervises unit heads for these areas and the division as a whole, which includes 8 librarians and 20 support staff. The Director of User Services and Library IT reports to the Dean of Libraries and Academic Information Resources and serves as a member of the library’s senior administrative group.
Library and Information Science
Louisiana State University
Louisiana State University
Association for Information Science and Technology
Coalition for Networked Information (CNI)
Selected Service at Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
- Implemented Ithaka Local Faculty Survey – Coordinator for Tulane.
- Library Emergency Response Team - Participant
- Initiated Journal Publishing Services & Partnered with Provost on Policies.
- Implemented Electronic Theses and Dissertation & Partnered with Vice Provost on mandatory deposit policy.
- Data Management Working Group – Chair.
- Administrative Systems Review - Chair
- ARL/DLF E-Science Research Institute: Team Chair & Authored Strategic Agenda.
- Ex Libris Primo Implementation Group: Group Chair & Co-Authored Report.
- Library Information Technology Steering Group (LITSG): Chair & Co-Authored Report.
- Learning Commons Working Group: Group Co-chair.
- Initiated, Co-planned and Coordinated workshop on Information Literacy Instruction by Consultant M. Oakleaf.
- Codified H-TML Instruction Program Documentation.
- Library Department Standing Search Committee Member and Promotions Committee Member
- Search Committees for Librarians
- ASERL Joint Initiative on ILS - Co Representative
- Louisiana Digital Consortium (LDC) – Executive Board Chair.
- Louisiana Digital Library Governing Committee – Coauthored Bylaws
- ASERL Research Data Committee – Committee Member.
- ASERL Planning Committee for Summertime Summit – Committee Member.
- Digital Preservation Network (DPN) – Tulane’s Co-Representative.
- Library Publishing Coalition (LPC) – Tulane’s Co-Representative.
- Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA) for Research Data Management Collaboration: Tulane’s Co-Representative.
- Keynote Speaker for Reed College’s Teaching with Digital Images Symposium, May 2009 http://www.reed.edu/digital_asset_mgmt/symposium/program.html
- Consultant to the Ohio 5 Liberal Arts Colleges on Mellon grant proposal for implementing a consortium-wide Digital Library, May 2009
- “Top Trends in Digitization.” OCLC Western Trek Magazine vol 4 no 3, p. 2 Summer 2008
- ALA-Midwinter, Presented “Building the CCDL” Philadelphia, PA Jan. 2008
- OCLC Webinar, Presented “Institutional Repository at Claremont,” Nov 2007
- Teaching American History in Louisiana. Funded by U. S. Department of Education 2001. Partnership between the LSU Digital Library, East Baton Rouge Parish School Board, LSU College of Education, Historic New Orleans Collection, Tulane University, Louisiana State Museum and Louisiana State Archives. $993,642.
- Louisiana Gumbo: A Recipe for Empowerment. Funded by IMLS 2004. Partnership between the LOUISiana Digital Library, State Library of Louisiana, Louisiana State Museum and Historic New Orleans Collection. $470,105
Professional InterestsTechnology and the User Experience
Digital Scholarship Initiatives