The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is located at 7001 Freret Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The library is near the intersection of Broadway and Freret streets, and a short distance from historic St. Charles Avenue and Audubon Park.
Expanded online option on uptown campus
Daily parking permits can be purchased online at parking.tulane.edu for $5 and printed from anywhere. This is a great option for guests or Tulane affiliates who do not have an annual parking permit but occasionally need to park on the uptown campus.
New pay station in Diboll Garage
For short term parking, we have a new pay station in Diboll that accepts credit cards and cash. Need to park on the uptown campus for the day but didn't buy an online permit and can't make it to the office in the LBC? Choose space 50 on the meter and place your receipt on your dashboard when you park in any unmarked space around campus.
Yes, the same app that you use to park on city streets is coming to the Tulane uptown campus! Look for the signs on our parking meters and in the Claiborne Avenue lot. ParkMobile gives you great flexibility for short term parking on campus. If you don't have the ParkMobile app, you can download it from the Android or Apple App stores.
Freret Bus - The Freret bus stops between Howard-Tilton Memorial Library and Jones Hall.
St. Charles Streetcar - Take the St. Charles streetcar to the Tulane University/Audubon Park stop. Walk through the academic quad between St. Charles Avenue and Freret Street, continue walking under Stern Hall, cross Freret Street at the traffic light crosswalk, turn left. You will pass the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse, then pass Jones Hall (where Special Collections are located), and the library will be the six floor white building.
Driving directions to Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
- After the exit for Causeway Boulevard in Metairie, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and I-610, keep right to stay on I-10 E, follow signs for Interstate 10 E/New Orleans Business District.
- Go 1.6 miles.
- Take exit 232 toward Airline Drive/Tulane Avenue/Carrollton Avenue/LA-61.
- Go 0.5 miles.
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Carrollton Avenue and merge onto South Carrollton Avenue.
- Go 0.8 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at Palmetto Street/Washington Avenue, Palm Street, Earhart Boulevard and Walmsley Avenue.)
- Turn left onto Fontainebleau Drive.
- Go 0.4 miles.
- Turn right onto Broadway Street.
- Go 1.1 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at South Claiborne Avenue and Willow Street.)
- Turn left onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the left 0.1 miles.
- After crossing the Industrial Canal high rise bridge and passing the fork for I-610, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and U.S. 90 Business West. You will pass exits for Elysian Fields Avenue, St. Bernard Avenue, Orleans Avenue, and Canal Street. As you are passing these exits, try to be in the middle lane of the three lanes of I-10.
- Use the left 2 lanes to take the U.S. 90 Business W exit toward Westbank/Claiborne Avenue.
- Keep in the right lane of the two lanes that exit to the left, follow signs for US 90 W/Claiborne Ave and merge onto US-90 W/S Claiborne Avenue.
- Merge onto US-90 W/South Claiborne Avenue.
- Go 1.8 miles. (You will go through several lights – Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Jackson Avenue, Washington Avenue, Toledano Street, Louisiana Avenue, Napoleon Avenue, Jefferson Avenue, Nashville Avenue)
- Turn left onto State Street which is the street after Nashville Avenue.
- Go 0.6 miles.
- Turn right onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the right 0.4 miles.