The Organic Modernism of Albert C. Ledner

This digital version of the Southeastern Architectural Archive's in-house exhibit features original drawings, photographs, and other items from the records of New Orleans modernist architect, Albert Charles Ledner (1924-2017). Born in the Bronx, New York City, Ledner was raised in New Orleans. After graduating from the Tulane School of Architecture in 1948, Ledner attended the Frank Lloyd Wright Fellowship in Spring Green, Wisconsin. He returned to New Orleans in 1950, with a commission to design a house for C.V. Goldate in Metairie, Louisiana. This led to a career designing many residences in the New Orleans region, several commercial projects, the First Unitarian Church on Jefferson Avenue in New Orleans, and several buildings for the National Maritime Union, including New Orleans, Baltimore, San Francisco, Norfolk, Virginia, and the national headquarters in New York City.

Included are project drawings and photographs, including photographs taken by Ledner on trips to see Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, an ashtray from the A.C. Sunkel residence (“the Ashtray House”) on Park Island, New Orleans, acrylic and glass shades made by Ledner for lighting fixtures, a plan for an electric tunnel oven for Ledner’s mother’s bakery, and a cookbook from 1987 of his mother’s recipes. Ledner’s mother, Beulah Ledner, is credited with the creation of the New Orleans doberge cake.

Generous support for this exhibit provided by Lettermans and the Louisiana Architectural Foundation.

Additional support provided by the Marjorie Peirce Geiser and John Geiser, Jr. Fund of the Southeastern Architectural Archive.

Credits

Exhibit curated by Kevin Williams. Digital exhibit created by Althea Topek.