The Latin American Library (LAL) provides duplication services for both in-person and distance users of LAL Special Collections.
Please note LAL does not offer duplication services for LAL circulating collections.
Formats for duplication services include photocopies, digital scans, pdfs, and microfilm. Due to the fragile nature of the materials, reproduction is subject to the discretion of the Director or the Curator of Special Collections, based on the condition of the item, its size, any donor-imposed restrictions, and copyright law.
In-house reproductions are made for research and private study only, and are not for resale. They may not be transferred, recopied, broadcast or published in print or in digital form without first obtaining permission to do so. Please see below for instructions about obtaining use permission.
- Requests for reproductions of Special Collections materials are made using a Reproduction Request Form, download the pdf HERE, or available in paper at the Latin American Library office.
- To place a duplication request, please send the completed form to the Latin American Library office via email (LAL@tulane.edu).
- Approval is granted on a case-by-case basis by the Director of the Latin American Library or by the Curator of Special Collections upon review of the written request and condition report of the requested materials.
- Individual requests are limited to a maximum number of 50 pages or pieces. Please note that it is not the general policy of The Latin American Library to duplicate rare books or archival collections in their entirety.
- Allow a minimum of two to three weeks for the processing of your request. Rush processing often is not available.
Please refer to Formats and LAL's Fee Schedule, below, for additional details.
If approved, please submit all payments via the online payment system. When filling out the payment form, choose "other service charges" in the "Transaction Information" section. In that same section, please list LAL@tulane.edu as the Library Contact.
Receipt and possession of reproductions and/or images does not convey publication rights. Please refer to the LAL’s Publication Request section, below, for more information.
The receiver of reproductions assumes all copyright responsibility and agrees to hold harmless Tulane University, its agents, representatives, and employees from any liability to copyright holders. Please review the copyright restrictions below:
United States copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research. If a user make a request for or later uses a reproduction for purposes in excess of fair use, the user may be liable for copyright infringement.
The institution reserves the right to refuse a copy or reproduction request if, in its opinion, fulfilling the request may violate copyright law.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the photographer, or his/her transferees, heirs, legatees, or executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Tulane University, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
A useful guide to online resources, guides, and calculators concerning copyright of library and archival materials is available HERE.
The Latin American Library makes reproductions available for fair use purposes, but possession of such copies does not convey permission to publish. If a user obtains a reproduction of special collections materials and later uses that reproduction in excess of fair use, the user bears any and all liability for alleged copyright infringement.
If a user wishes to publish a reproduction of special collections materials, you will need to contact either the Curator of Special Collections or the Director of the Latin American Library via a Publication Request form (or download the pdf HERE) in order to determine whether permission to publish special collections materials can and will be authorized.
No use, commercial, educational, academic or otherwise, will be authorized without written permission by either the Director of the Latin American Library or the Curator of Special Collections. Permissions are decided on a case-by-case basis by the Director upon review of the submitted written request. Please allow 1-2 weeks for a response.
Be sure to include the following information in your request:
- Date of the request
- Bibliographic information for your publication including the title of the work, author’s name, where and in what form the work will appear, publisher, place of publication, and anticipated publication date
- URL (if applicable) for the publication
- List of materials for which you are requesting permission to publish. Please be specific as to identification: author/title/date/call number (if applicable)/ collection name and number/folder number/image(s)
- Your name and full contact information
- If duplication of materials is required, please see the Duplication Policies and Services section, above.
All publication permissions granted are limited licenses for one-time use only for the material specified in each request. In order to support the Latin American Library’s considerable and ongoing preservation and management efforts for its collections, the LAL charges a use fee for publication of images of its materials. Please see the Fee Schedule section, below, for more information. A use fee will be additional to any requested or prior reproduction fees.
Approved permission requests will have a Publication Agreement drawn up that will be signed and dated by either the Director of the Latin American Library or the Curator of Special Collections along with that of the requestor.
Permissions granted do not imply that Tulane University's Latin American Library controls the copyright to all materials or that the requestor should not secure other authorizations prior to use.
Requestors citing or otherwise using materials from the Latin American Library will defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Latin American Library, Tulane University Libraries, and Tulane University, its officers, employees and agents against all claims, demands, costs and expenses including attorneys' fees incurred by copyright infringement or any other legal or regulatory cause of action arising from the use of special collections materials from the Latin American Library.
Fees must be prepaid before image delivery. The Latin American Library can only receive electronic payment of any and all fees assessed. The fees listed do not include shipping & handling costs (see below).
Photocopies may be made in black & white or in color on letter size (8.5 x 11”), legal size (11 x 14”), and oversize (11 x 17”) copy paper.
Digital Image Scans and PDF Files
Due to considerations of preservation and intellectual property rights, the Director of the Latin American Library and/or Curator of Special Collections will determine the feasibility of scanning or photographing all special collections materials in order to create digital surrogates. Please review the copyright restrictions detailed above in the Duplication section, above.
The library uses an Epson Expression 10000 XL large-format flatbed scanner or BookEye4 overhead scanner for digitization of its special collection materials. Derivative digital images in JPEG format are produced, generally at 400 dpi resolution, or materials may be delivered in pdf digital format as an economical alternative. Requests for higher resolution image files must be approved by the Director of the Latin American Library.
Microfilm orders are filled by a commercial firm. Please contact LAL for estimates. The user will pay for a negative and a positive and the Library will retain the negative.
Letter size 8.5 x 11": 40 cents/page
Legal size 11 x 14": 50 cents/page
Larger 11 x 17": 75 cents/page
Pdf letter size 8.5 x 11": $2.00/page
To these charges the following surcharges apply:
1-9 pages: none
10-25 pages: $2.00
26-50 pages: $3.50
Color photocopies add 20 cents/page
$20 US per digital image file provided as a jpeg at 300 dpi in most cases Digital images can be delivered electronically via e-mail or Google Drive or they can be sent on a DVD disk for an additional US $5 charge plus shipping and handling (see below)
Shipping & Handling Costs
If digital images or photocopies are to be mailed, a 15% postage and handling charge will be added; or $3.00 minimum for domestic orders. There is a $10.00 minimum for international orders.
EDITORIAL, PRINT, AND/OR E-BOOK USE (per image)
- Commercial print/e-book: publishers, businesses, individuals ** $100.00
- Commercial multi-media and/or worldwide rights ** $250.00
- Non-profit print/e-book: businesses, government agencies, scholarly, small press $30.00
- Non-profit multi-media and/or worldwide rights $100.00
- Commercial print/online: periodical or journal article $75.00
- Non-profit print/online: periodical or journal article $25.00
- Unpublished report, thesis, or dissertation; newsprint article or book review $0 (no charge)
ADVERTISING, NON-EDITORIAL, BOOK COVERS (includes calendars, cards, etc.) (per image)
- Commercial businesses $300.00
- Non-profit businesses, agencies, self-publishers $150.00
VIDEO, TELEVISION, FILM, DVD USE (per image)
- Commercial businesses, individuals $150.00
- Commercial: multi-media or worldwide rights $250.00
- Non-profit businesses, agencies $75.00
- Non-profit: multi-media or worldwide rights $100.00
INTERNET, WEB SITE, MOBILE APP USE (per image)
- Commercial businesses $50.00
- Non-profit agencies, individuals $20.00
EXHIBITION USE (includes online versions of physical exhibits) (per image)
- Commercial businesses $125.00
- Non-profit agencies $25.00
RE-USE (e.g., subsequent edition, medium, language, etc.)
- 50% discounted from original charge
ONSITE FILMING (appointment required)
- $300.00/hr minimum