The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is located at 7001 Freret Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70118, near the intersection of Broadway and Freret streets and a short distance from historic St. Charles Avenue and Audubon Park. Jones Hall, the home of Tulane University Special Collections, is just across the parking lot at 6801 Freret St.
Vehicles parking on the uptown campus between the hours of 8:00am and 5:30pm, Monday-Friday, are required to display an annual parking permit, a daily parking permit, or park in a metered space. Failure to comply with parking rules may result in a citation. For additional parking information, call (504) 865-5441.
Visitors have several options when purchasing hourly, one-day, or multi-day permits.
Purchase one-day or multi-day parking passes:
- In the Campus Services office in the Lavin-Bernick Center, Suite 107. One-day or multi-day passes are valid in all parking zones except for Reserved All Hours spaces and metered spaces.
- Online at parking.tulane.edu. This option allows you to print your parking pass from anywhere.
- Via the parking pay station located on the ground floor of the Diboll Complex and selecting "Stall 50."
Purchase hourly parking:
- Via parking meters located throughout campus.
- Via the parking pay station located on the ground floor of the Diboll Complex. Metered parking is available on the ground level or in one of the numbered spaces on the second floor
- Utilizing the ParkMobile app. The same app that you use to park on city streets can be used on the Tulane Uptown campus. Look for the signs on our parking meters and in the Claiborne Avenue lot. ParkMobile gives you great flexibility for short term parking on campus. If you don't have the ParkMobile app, you can download it from the Android or Apple App stores.
Reserved All Hour spaces are clearly marked and should not be used by visitors without prior approval by the space owner.
The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is a private library with public access whose primary mission is to serve the students, faculty and staff of Tulane University. Recognizing its value to the greater New Orleans community and its unique resources of broader interest, the library welcomes visitors and special borrowers, while expecting them first to have used their own school, public, or academic libraries. For more information regarding public access please see the library's Public Access Policy.
Freret Bus - The Freret bus stops between Howard-Tilton Memorial Library and Jones Hall.
St. Charles Streetcar - Take the St. Charles streetcar to the Tulane University/Audubon Park stop. Walk through the academic quad between St. Charles Avenue and Freret Street, continue walking under Stern Hall, cross Freret Street at the traffic light crosswalk, turn left. You will pass the Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse, then pass Jones Hall (where Special Collections are located). The library will be the six floor building.
Taking Interstate 10 East coming from west of New Orleans (i.e. from Baton Rouge or Houston)
- After the exit for Causeway Boulevard in Metairie, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and I-610, keep right to stay on I-10 E, follow signs for Interstate 10 E/New Orleans Business District.
- Go 1.6 miles.
- Take exit 232 toward Airline Drive/Tulane Avenue/Carrollton Avenue/LA-61.
- Go 0.5 miles.
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Carrollton Avenue and merge onto South Carrollton Avenue.
- Go 0.8 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at Palmetto Street/Washington Avenue, Palm Street, Earhart Boulevard and Walmsley Avenue.)
- Turn left onto Fontainebleau Drive.
- Go 0.4 miles.
- Turn right onto Broadway Street.
- Go 1.1 miles. (You will go through traffic lights at South Claiborne Avenue and Willow Street.)
- Turn left onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the left 0.1 miles.
Taking Interstate 10 West coming from east of New Orleans (i.e. from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi or Florida)
- After crossing the Industrial Canal high rise bridge and passing the fork for I-610, you will be nearing the fork of I-10 and U.S. 90 Business West. You will pass exits for Elysian Fields Avenue, St. Bernard Avenue, Orleans Avenue, and Canal Street. As you are passing these exits, try to be in the middle lane of the three lanes of I-10.
- Use the left 2 lanes to take the U.S. 90 Business W exit toward Westbank/Claiborne Avenue.
- Keep in the right lane of the two lanes that exit to the left, follow signs for US 90 W/Claiborne Ave and merge onto US-90 W/S Claiborne Avenue.
- Merge onto US-90 W/South Claiborne Avenue.
- Go 1.8 miles. (You will go through several lights – Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Jackson Avenue, Washington Avenue, Toledano Street, Louisiana Avenue, Napoleon Avenue, Jefferson Avenue, Nashville Avenue)
- Turn left onto State Street which is the street after Nashville Avenue.
- Go 0.6 miles.
- Turn right onto Freret Street at traffic light.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library will be on the right 0.4 miles.