COVID-19 Procedures at The Latin American Library
In compliance with mandated protocols and guidelines at Tulane University and Howard-Tilton Memorial Library to protect staff and users in the building during the pandemic, we have instituted some changes to our office hours and services at The Latin American Library.
For updated general policies on building hours, circulation, ILL, and more, see the Howard Tilton Memorial Library FAQs.
Whether you will be on campus or working remotely this semester, know that we continue to support your research and teaching as much as possible.
Write to us at LAL@Tulane.edu for questions or queries.
General Tulane University/Libraries Policies:
- The LAL will observe Tulane University’s general policy of allowing only current Tulane affiliates (staff, students, faculty) and those with a splashcard in the building for any reason. Non-Tulane affiliates are welcome to email us with queries or requests.
- While using the public areas, please comply with the Tulane-wide policy of wearing a mask at all times. Masks should also be worn in LAL graduate carrels.
- No food or drink in the library
- To comply with the requirement to use masks at all times, Tulane Libraries have established a no food or drink policy in any library building.
- The PJs at the entrance of Howard-Tilton is closed until further notice.
- The LAL Open Stacks remain available as long as the Howard Tilton Library building is open: https://library.tulane.edu/hours
Changes at the Latin American Library Offices
LAL Office Hours:
- For the public: 10-4pm
- LAL staff are not able to be present in the office at the same time. Thus, any in-person visits to the office will be by appointment only. Please write to us at LAL@Tulane.edu to request services or for queries.
We will deliver most of our services, such as research consultations, classroom instruction, graduate carrel assignments, and any other queries, online only. The one exception is in-person consultation of our special collections.
Individual Use of LAL Special Collections
- The main exception to the online only policy is the consultation of LAL rare materials, which will be in-person, but by appointment only:
- Service will be weekdays 10am-4pm
- Users must wear masks and gloves while working with materials
- Social distancing and other protective measures will be taken to ensure the safety of users and staff.
Using the LAL Open Stacks
To check out books from the LAL Open stacks, there are now two options:
As usual, come to the open stacks, retrieve the items, and check them out at the circulation desk on the 1st floor.
A second option is to order the books via the library catalog for pick up at the circulation desk. You can find instructions on that here. After you request delivery for the books via the library catalog, you will receive confirmation and details on when you can pick them up.
Note: Books and journals left on tables after browsing will be gathered and quarantined for 72 hours.
Books Not Found in Open Stacks
- If you cannot find a book in the open stacks, please do not go to the LAL office. Rather, fill in a yellow locate card on the first floor at the Circulation Desk.
In Process & Rush Order Requests
- In Process and Rush orders will also be held for pickup at the Circulation Desk on the first floor. For now, the LAL office will not hold these items for users. The Circulation Desk staff will notify you by email when you book is ready to pick up on the 1st floor.
Research Support & Course Instruction
- All individual appointments and group instruction sessions will be online. Please email us at LAL@Tulane.edu to plan an online session.
- Faculty who currently have carrel assignments have already been contacted directly to renew for this year. Check your email for information. Those interested in a new carrel assignment can submit an online application, as usual.
- Graduate carrel assignments are by appointment only. A call will be sent out in September for new carrel requests; renewal notices have already been sent out.
Exhibits, Open House, Public Events
Sadly, we have suspended any public, in-person gatherings in LAL for the rest of this year. However, we will keep in touch through other means. Stay tuned for some new developments to be announced soon!
Richard E. Greenleaf Fellowships at the LAL
Due to the difficulties of navigating visa restrictions and housing availability on campus, the LAL Greenleaf Fellowship Program has been cancelled for 2020-2021. Depending on how things unfold locally, nationally and internationally, we may send out a call for papers next February for the 2021-2022 academic year.
As always, please contact us at LAL@tulane.edu with questions.