Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is developing digital scholarship services, spaces, and programming to collaborate, create, explore, and engage with the Tulane community.
What is Digital Scholarship?
Digital scholarship is scholarly activity that makes use of digital tools and methods to advance an argument, provide a pedagogical thrust, or offer interpretation. It tends to be collaborative, interdisciplinary, and openly accessible. Data may be reusable, downloadable, or transformable. Of course, not all digital scholarship bears all these hallmarks at the same time.
Digital scholarship includes born-digital works, multimedia, analysis of other born-digital material, data sets, or digital assets such as art, images, music, and text. Some of it is public-facing but, often, it may never be intended for formal publishing. It may represent a shift away from traditional publishing and the kind of scholarship that we have historically collected and preserved in libraries but is, in fact, a natural evolution and adaptation of digital technology to scholarship. In short, if it can be easily done in print, it probably is not digital scholarship.
Where does digital scholarship happen?
Digital scholarship happens in myriad ways such as individual and group consultations with archivists, librarians, and library staff, in workshops, seminars, and individually via interactions with digital objects discoverable via our research guides.
One particular location for collaboration and conversation is The Knowledge Lab. Located on the 2nd floor of Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, adjacent to the Second Floor Study Commons, The Knowledge Lab is a collaborative consultation and office space designed to foster interdisciplinary collaborations among Tulane students, faculty, staff, and librarians. Scholarly Engagement librarians and staff are available to provide scholarly support to explore, engage, collaborate, and create in all phases of the research process, promote skills and tools to create innovative digital projects, experiment with new pedagogies, and help communicate the results of original research.
How does Howard-Tilton Memorial Library support digital scholarship at Tulane?
- Community Building via drop-in working sessions, open office hours, and spaces in the library for group work.
- Librarians and library staff are available to consult and assist Tulane affiliates with their projects and ideas. We offer project planning support, support with Data Management, and support with tools and methods.
- Make an Appointment
- Instruction Services
- Research Guides and Library GitHub
Scholarly Publishing Support
- Tulane Libraries provide platforms and partnerships for hosting and publishing both peer-reviewed scholarly journals and non-peer reviewed content.
- Howard-Tilton Memorial Library Online Exhibits
- Tulane University Digital Library
- Tulane University Journal Publishing
- Tulane University Publications
- Theses and Dissertations Archive